Friday, December 13, 2019

Humans of Pre-Health Emory: Jessica Isibor

Jessica Isibor is a senior majoring in Psychology and minoring in African Studies. She is on the pre-med track. 

We had a chance to sit down with Jessica and ask her a few questions about her pre-health journey. 

What have been impactful events that have led you to this pre-health track? 
Well, I’ve always known that I’ve wanted to be in healthcare, specifically in the medical field. I’ve teetered between pre-med and pre-pharmacy, but have always been interested in medicine. There hasn’t been a specific event but a culmination of mine and my family’s different experiences with the healthcare system that led me to pursue this particular track. I’ve also had very positive experiences with my primary healthcare providers and physicians, so I’ve always wanted to be that person who works in a field that allows them to give people the tools to enhance their own health. 

I’m also interested in how primary care, preventative healthcare and public health are interrelated as well as the impact mental health has on other facets of health. In my sister’s experience with anxiety, social determinants of health weren’t really addressed, especially within the context of minority, immigrant populations where the group members themselves don’t see mental health in the same way as other forms of physical health. Hers and my father’s struggle with anxiety were never seen as health issues, they were always seen separate, unrelated cases. 

And while I have had positive experiences with the healthcare system, I’ve also seen how the healthcare system has failed my family by not accounting for other determinants of health, especially where it concerned the cases of anxiety in my sister and father. 

What has been the most difficult part of your time as a pre-med student at Emory? 
Aside from anything Chemistry related…When I was coming into college I was very sure about what I wanted to do. I remember thinking that I wanted to go into the medical field and knew my reason why, but as I continued on my journey I came face to face with the reality of what this journey entails. Having confidence and believing that “I do belong in this field” when at first I wasn’t really seeing people like myself, when I come from the background I’m coming from actually in this field succeeding. As I branched out more, and saw that people were going through similar struggles, it continued to push me further. The most difficult part was, and still is,  believing that this is something I can do and that I do belong here in this field/profession. 

Did you have a specific mentor that inspired you to get to where you are now? 
Well, in terms of my passion for primary care and family medicine specifically, my doctor, Dr. O’Neil is literally the best. I don’t even know if she knows that I talk about her so much. I started reaching out to her and she’s super responsive and interactive. I’ve spoken with her about my own interest in her field over lunch. I’ve gotten to speak with her about her experience and the fact that medicine has changed so much from the time that she was a pre-med. Listening to her talk about why she loves family medicine and working in public and community health has really inspired me to do what she does. I want to work as a primary care, family physician that bridges the gap between community health, especially within disadvantaged communities/populations. Just seeing how she works her magic has really inspired me. 

I’ve also been influenced by members of Emory’s SMNA via events I’ve done with Minority Pre-Med Society. While I wouldn’t call them official mentors of mine, hearing them talk about their very diverse journeys and the reasons why they want to pursue medicine has also been an inspiration for me. 

What is the best advice you could give someone pursuing the same track as you? 
I would say for them to keep their mind on why they want to do this (pursue medicine). At times, it may not seem like it’s worth it, you may feel as if you’re torturing yourself with your classes or you may question why you’ve chosen to pursue this career. You may get lost within the mix of things, but keeping your mind on your why, even if you don’t know what you’d like to specialize in, will keep you motivated and on track. One thing that has always helped me is knowing that “I know that this is what I want to do, this is the impact I want to make and this is the avenue through which I want to make this impact, so it’s fine, I’ll stay up a couple more hours and keep studying because, eventually, this is where I’m going to get. It’s harder at sometimes to remember that than others, but keeping your eye on the light at the end of the tunnel is probably the only way to really get through.”