Sunday, May 23, 2021

Humans of Pre-Health Emory (HOPHE)

 


We had a chance to sit down with Liam Fost (21C), who will be entering into the Emory University Bioethics Master's program this fall. 

  1. What was the most difficult part of your pre-health career?

The most difficult part of my pre-health career has been figuring out my exact path to medical school. When I first arrived at Emory, I felt like I had everything planned out: I would major in Biology and attend medical school without any gap years. But then over the course of my college career, my interests began to change. I started taking philosophy courses and decided I also wanted to study philosophy. Then, I found a Master’s program in bioethics that I wanted to enroll in. I usually like having everything planned out, but life isn’t always so linear. I had to let go of my original expectations of my pre-medical journey in order to explore my interests. Although changing my mindset was difficult, I am grateful that I did. Now, I know more about myself and about the field of medicine I am interested.

  1. What helped guide you to where you are now?

A principle I always followed is that the classroom is not a competition. One of the key characteristics about Emory is that its student body is collaborative and supportive. Throughout my time at Emory, my classmates and I always worked together to understand the material. I believe that Emory pre-meds are going to become some of the best doctors because of their values; helping others is second nature here at Emory. This principle has guided me through my pre-med career and continues to guide me during my senior year.

  1. Did you have a specific mentor that inspired you to get to where you are now?

When I was an underclassman, I talked about being on the pre-med track with my teammates. I turned towards one teammate in particular. She is a dedicated and successful pre-med student as well as a national champion. I followed along the same path she did and found success.

  1. What is the best advice you could give someone pursuing the same track as you?

The best way to learn is by using the method “see one, do one, teach one.” See the concept for the first time in class, then practice it on your own, then show another student how to do it. If you do this, you’ll prove to yourself that you understand the material and you will retain it.