Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Humans of Pre-Health Emory (HOPHE): Josh Qian

 


We had a chance to sit down with Josh Qian and ask him a few questions about his experiences at Emory School of Medicine as a current M2

1.     Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Hello premed world! My name is Josh Qian. I’m currently an MS2 at Emory University SOM. Before med school, my undergraduate was at Georgia Tech with a major in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering and a minor in Health and Medical Sciences. I also completed a few internships over the course of college in the fields of chemical and pharmaceutical manufacturing. I am a “traditional” med student, in the sense that I went straight from undergrad to medical school - although, the vast majority of my classmates have completed one or more gap years. I have lived in a few places including Ohio, Michigan, Shanghai, and now Georgia. In my freetime (yes, medical students get a little bit of that. Crazy, I know.), I enjoy making music, rock climbing, and playing video/board games with friends.

2.     How are you enjoying medical school? What is your favorite part about attending the Emory School of Medicine?

Medical school is definitely hard, but it has also been the best time of my life. The people you meet here are one of a kind. I am constantly surrounded by positive influences and hard working classmates who have the common goal of wanting to help people. Classwork can feel overwhelming at times with the incredibly large amount of knowledge we are expected to learn in a short amount of time (have you heard of the phrase - “drinking from a fire hydrant?” It’s very accurate!), but the people you will be around and the experiences you will have in the clinics will make it all worthwhile. At Emory, I was starting rounds at Grady Hospital within the first three months of med school. This is 100% my favorite part about Emory. Although I was still learning the ropes as a first year student, attending clinics early on allowed me to practice getting a comprehensive HPI (History of Present Illness), taking a thorough medical/family/social history, and performing the physical exam. Beyond the ability to expand my skills as a future medical professional, being in the clinic allows me to see the classroom teachings in real life patients. The coolest experience is coming into the clinic every other week and finding myself knowing a little more. I have progressively been able to participate more in discussions with the attending physician and practice coming up with a differential diagnosis for the patients I see. Whatever medical school you choose in your future, I would highly highly recommend asking them about their clinical opportunities in the first and second year.

Oh, also pass/fail systems. That has been really great too :P

3.     Throughout your undergraduate career, what helped guide you towards a career in medicine?

In undergrad, I was torn between the two worlds of engineering and medicine. I knew I enjoyed engineering and felt confident with my skills. However, I also desired to have a lifelong career where I am able to use my STEM knowledge to help others. As I gained insight into a future in engineering, I saw that the destination for an engineer’s career path was to end up in the business and management side of things. Most of the senior engineers at the companies I interned at no longer worked in the manufacturing plant. Instead, they spent a majority of their days in meetings with others and communicating needs/wants with their respective sites. On the other hand, I knew that by going to medical school, more doors would be open in my future and I would have a career that would allow me to spend the rest of my life working closely with patients to improve their lives. Finally, I had several teaching jobs while I was in undergrad and I found that education would be an important part of my future career. Because medicine is an ever-changing field, physicians are constantly learning and teaching others new things. Medical education is definitely something I will be pursuing when I am a more knowledgeable physician.

4.     Is there something you wish you knew 5 years ago? What advice would you give another student who is pursuing the same track as you?

Undergrad and pre-medical-school are stressful and confusing times. There are 3 things I would want the younger-me and any students earlier on this path to know. The number one advice is to (1) try your best to not become overwhelmed with the vast uncertainty that comes with the process. Enjoy the journey you are on and be in the moment. If you truly have a passion for medicine and you have worked hard, you will become a doctor and you will find a way to overcome any obstacles that may come in your way. (2) Find good mentors in your pre-med office and with current medical students/doctors. Ask them lots of questions and check-in with them frequently on your journey to see if you are on the right track. Seek plenty of shadowing opportunities to build your knowledge of the medical career path. Finally, (3) explore other opportunities outside of medicine and give them the benefit of the doubt, especially if you find yourself on the fence like I was. If you go through those experiences and still find yourself wanting to do medicine, that will only make you more certain you made the correct decision. Alternatively, if you experience another career and find it to be a better fit, do not be afraid to pursue that instead. There are many ways to help others outside of being a doctor. Physician burnout is a real problem in medicine. One way you can help combat that is to have experienced other career options and being able to say with confidence that medicine is your destined path. Whether it is through gap years or through internships, make a strong effort to seek out these outside opportunities!

5.     Where do you see yourself in the next five to ten years?

On a beach in Hawaii with a piña colada :D

Career-wise, I foresee myself going into internal medicine residency with later fellowships to subspecialize in pulmonology, allergy/immunology, or endocrinology. Somewhere on that path, I’ll be a chief resident and later an attending physician who will be able to teach other medical students and residents while on the wards.

If not internal medicine, I also have interest in surgery. I am currently doing pediatric cardiothoracic surgery research and I find that to be really interesting.

Or maybe even anesthesiology is in my future.

(As you can tell, I have no idea what I want to be because I like everything... Stay tuned!)

6.     Is there anything else you would like to share?

 

The future can be scary, but remember that many many people have gone through the same experiences you are feeling. Don’t be afraid to seek help and ask others for tips. Stay positive and keep working hard. You can do it!