Friday, March 19, 2021

Humans of Pre-Health Emory (HOPHE): Erick Luna

 



Erick Luna is a 3rd year pre-medical student here at Emory, majoring in chemistry with a minor in mathematics. We had a chance to sit down with Erick and ask him a few questions about his pre-health journey at Emory. 


What have been impactful events that have led you to this pre-health track?

One of the most impactful events that led to my decision to follow medicine came early in my life with an unexpected fire in my house. The disaster led to the hospitalization and helicopter transportation of my Dad. Even though events like this are devastating, the actions of the medical professionals incited my curiosity in the field and encouraged my aspirations to follow behind them in order to provide similar help. 


What was the most difficult part of your pre-health career?

The most difficult part for me has always been knowing what is the “right” thing to do. Being a first-generation college student (and therefore also the first to pursue medicine), I’ve often felt like I know too little and therefore don’t know if my decisions are the right ones. The hardest thing has been reassuring myself in my decisions and trusting not only myself but the choices I have made along the way. 


What helped guide you to where you are now?

Honestly, what's helped me most in my college and premed career has been the connections I have made with fellow peers. The ones who understand the situations you're in best are the ones who have lived through them (or are currently living through them) themselves. I’m grateful for all of the amazing people I know who have pushed me forward and made me a better student and person in the process.


What do you wish you knew 5 years ago?

I wish I would have known the importance of organization. I’ve slowly along the way been learning ways to better organize, prioritize and manage my work and extracurriculars but having the skill set earlier would have proven very helpful. The long nights that you spend catching up on work often have negative impacts on your sleep. Knowing ways to stay organized positively impacts your sleep, health, and progress. 


If you could start over, what would you change?

If I could start my premed track over, I would absolutely focus my efforts more on finding a few individual things I was passionate about. I think it’s easy to get caught up in the idea that more is better only to find yourself juggling 5 different clubs that you’re only slightly involved in. I would’ve liked to have developed a theme earlier in order to focus on select clubs and extracurriculars from the start. 


What is the best advice you could give someone pursuing the same track as you?

The best advice goes with the other things I said before. I would suggest focusing on what’s driving you (what are you passionate about as well as what are you good at). I would take the things that push you the most and integrate them into your pre health career. The things you do don’t have to be the most world changing, or even numerous, but rather important to you. When you focus on the things you are passionate about, you’ll not only excel in those areas but also ground yourself in your beliefs and motivations.