Thursday, February 18, 2021

Humans of Pre-Health Emory (HOPHE): Esther Jang

We had a chance to sit down with Esther Jang and ask her a few questions about her pre-health journey.

  1. Tell me a little about yourself. 

“My name is Esther Jang, and I graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology (NBB) at Emory University. I am currently a M1 at the Rutgers New Jersey Medical School.”


  1. Was there any specific turning point during your undergraduate years at Emory that led you to the pre-med track? 

“Partly due to my background in science in high school, I came to Emory with some interest to pursue a science-related major, but I was not entirely too sure about my professional track at first. However, after taking more pre-requisite classes for medical school, shadowing doctors, and conducting research in labs, I became more confident that medicine was the field that I wanted to pursue in the future.”


  1. How did you decide to take a gap year and what did you do?

“While my decision to graduate in three years may have had a strong influence in my decision to take a gap year, I also wanted to further my exposure in a clinical setting to increase my confidence in my pursuit for medicine. During my gap year, I scribed at the emergency department at two different hospitals, which allowed me to connect with various healthcare professionals in general. My job mainly consisted of scribing, and this experience helped me become more familiar with clinical aspects, thereby setting an early, firm foundation for writing a full note during clinical sessions in medical school. I worked full-time (three to four days a week), but I also had time to relax and spend quality time with family and friends.”


  1. What advice would you give someone pursuing the same track as you?

“After taking a gap year, I would also highly recommend other students to consider taking a gap year. Not being in an academic environment for a year allowed me to assess my passion and making sure that becoming a doctor was something that I truly wanted to do. I definitely do understand people’s sentiment in wanting to go straight into medical school because it is such a long journey, but after taking a gap year myself, I learned that the time it takes to get to medical school does not matter as much because everyone has their own journey. For example, at medical school, I was able to meet friends from varying ages and backgrounds: those who have gotten in after applying multiple times, those who are married and had children, those who previously have had a different career, those who have been accepted to a 7-year program during the beginning college applications, and etc. While everyone’s path looks different, each person is at the medical school together to eventually achieve their aspirations in becoming doctors. So, for anyone worried about not being able to go to medical school immediately after one’s undergraduate studies, I want to assure you that the journey does not matter as much because everyone has their own unique journey that directs each person toward the shared goal of becoming a medical professional!”


  1. Looking back on the application process and pre-med at school in general, what is something that you wish you had known that you think would have helped you?

“Try to find meaning in your activities and extracurricular involvements in your college years. It is helpful to understand how your passion in both medical and nonmedical activities has shaped your decision to pursue the profession of your choice. Also, do not get discouraged about anything and know your worth during the process. You know yourself the best, so do not let one admissions decision or rejection bring you down.”


  1. Can you describe a positive experience you have had so far as a M1 during the pandemic?

“Because I was not on campus, there were definitely the apparent financial advantages to living at the comfort of my own home. In terms of academics, listening to lectures through podcasts has allowed me to take more responsibility in my own learning experience. Although the social aspect and support with my peers could have been easily absent in an online format, I made sure to build as many relationships as I could through zoom. We try to support one another in the best way possible”