Friday, November 13, 2020

Humans of Pre-Health Emory (HOPHE): Rohan K. Dhamsania


1.     Could you introduce yourself to us all (who you are, where you are, what journey you’ve gone through so far from Emory)

I am Rohan K. Dhamsania, a medical student at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM) at GA campus. I am originally from India and I came to the US for college. I really enjoyed the research-intensive approach to learning at Emory and decided to pursue my medical training in the US as well. I graduated with a B.S in Biology from Emory College M.S in Cancer Biology and Translational Oncology from Laney Graduate School of Emory University.

2.     What has been the most difficult part of your pre-health career? Did you face difficulties as an international student from India entering Emory and through your Pre-Health journey?

Getting used to the American education system was a challenging transition. The educational model in India is a lot more structured as compared to the flexible nature of the curriculum here in the USA. Thus, the abundance of choices in course selections, research opportunities and extra-curriculars was exciting and overwhelming at first. There was lot of trial and error to successfully navigate through these choices. I am grateful for all the mentoring that I received at Emory and it has played in instrumental role in my career development.

3.     Why did you decide to engage in the 4+1 program at Emory? And what did you gain from your experience?

Inquiry based approach to learning was the aspect that impressed me the most about Emory education. During my undergraduate years, I researched in a basic science neuroscience lab. After completing my undergraduate degree, I wanted to dwell in to translational research as I am considering that as a potential career goal along with becoming a physician. Cancer research gave me a strong perspective of drug developments and how it can change lives of cancer patients and their families. It was a very humbling experience for me. My mentor, Dr. Victor Corces always said, “Study as if someone’s life depends on it” and cancer research helped me understand and experience what he really meant when he said that.

4.     Did you ever teeter between research and medical school? What led you to decide to go to medical school?

I was more inclined to go to medical school as I enjoy interreacting with people. Even though I never intended to pursue PhD, however, I strongly believe that with the emphasis on evidence-based medicine, it’s impossible to separate medicine from research. As a result, I always prioritized research along with my academics. I ended up picking the medical route as I realized that I enjoy interacting with people and I aspire to develop treatment plans in consultation with the patients and experts.

5.     As a medical student, what do you take from time at Emory to medical school?

Be open to new ideas, ask unscripted questions and seek help early are key skills that I learnt Emory. These points particularly enabled me to connect with faculty, staff and students at Emory and I hope I can continue to develop these skills in medical school.

6.     If you could start over, would you change anything in your journey?

I thoroughly enjoyed my college experience, however, there were times when I was not optimally productive. Learning from that, I cant emphasis the importance of creating a routine and sticking by it. In the long run, routine definitely pays off.