Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Humans of Pre-Health Emory (HOPHE): Dr. Donald Stein

 


Please introduce yourself.

My name is Donald Stein. Born and raised in NY. I’m a professor currently based in the Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology program. But for 24 years, I was a professor in the School of Medicine in the department of Emergency Medicine where I ran the emergency medicine brain research laboratory focused on traumatic brain injury, stroke, and in the last 7 to 8 years or so, a deadly brain cancer. I also serve, at Emory, as dean of graduate studies and vice provost.

 

How did you decide on your profession in brain and biomedical research?

When I was an undergraduate, I couldn’t figure out what it was I wanted to do. I ended up initially going into experimental psychology. Then, I also got trained as a clinician and started my first job after I graduated from college at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Michigan. There, I saw some terrible cases of traumatic brain injuries and other psychiatric disorders caused by war-time experiences at that time. I couldn’t really understand why nothing was being done to really help them very much. We were keeping them very constrained and out of harm's way. I felt, if we’re seriously going to help patients with these kinds of brain injuries and psychiatric disorders, we needed to do more than just talk therapy. We had to have a much more profound understanding of how the brain works. So I switched what I was doing to research. I decided to focus more on the experimental aspects of how the brain works.


What has been your favorite part about your career?

I think the best part of my career has been teaching… and working with people like you! Seriously. If you can’t pass on information to the next generation, what are you doing? The best thing, I think, was the opportunity to work with young people and to be involved and engaged, not just at the undergraduate level, but graduate and postdoctoral level. That’s what being a professor is all about. 

 

Why did you decide to accept the teaching position at the department of medicine?

I was not expected to do any teaching when I came to Emory. My job was to be dean of the graduate school and vice provost for graduate studies and so on. I negotiated with the provost and president. For me, it was very important for me to keep a hand in teaching and working with students at all different levels, including post-docs. I’ve had students from all over the world work with me over the course of my career. Administration is ok. But what would enhance that administrative experience was seeing the administration work at the level of faculty and students. I went back to the medical school because my work was very translational trying to fix brains\ injury. It was a good fit. The department chair said, “We work on this all the time. Do you want to join us and become part of our faculty? We’d think you’d have a good home.” I said, “That’s a great idea. I would like to do that”. And so we had the brain research lab, and moved it over [to the School of Medicine].

 

What has been the most difficult part of your research career?

The most difficult part of my career was balancing family, research, and teaching. The big problem I was facing was the tremendous pressures that are put on biomedical researchers and researchers in general and finding funding to support everything you do. Those kinds of pressures-- where the university expects and demands  people to do this especially if you’re working in a medical center--are intensive. Especially if you’re dealing with the contingencies and politics of federal funding, it can be very very hard and can detract from teaching and quality, quantity, and type of research you’d like to do. Those have been the most challenging parts of my career. The most challenging has been the never-ending demands to get extramural(?) funding and to face the reality that no matter how much you get, the administration is never going to be satisfied. 

 

What is the best advice you could give to someone pursuing the same track as you?

At the start of my career, it was a very different time. We were in the heart of the Cold War with the Soviet Union. I was in college when Sputnik went up. The U.S. freaked out when they got a satellite into space before we did. Why do I mention that? Well, the United States was like, “Well we are far behind in space, far behind in science, we gotta beat them at everything”. At the time because of that, if you were to go into any field of science, you would be sure you would get support. If you got into a school, you would get a fellowship, you would get a job afterwards. There was no question. Nowadays, that's a very different situation. If I were starting out today, I would be a little more concerned about picking a scientific career because the challenges are much more demanding when I was a student. There’s no guarantee you’ll get a job right after graduate school now. When I was a student you pretty much had your pick. The government was plowing a lot of money into the sciences. It was an easier time. Today, if I were doing it, I would give a lot of thought into what it is you need to do. You have to do much more planning. You have to be much more aware of circumstances and aware of what you want to do and how much time you want to spend teaching, how much time you want to spend in research. It’s a much more challenging environment for young people today.