Friday, March 13, 2020

Humans of Pre-Health Emory: Izzy Saridakis


Izzy Saridakis is a senior majoring in Applied Math/Statistics and minoring Anthropology. Izzy will return to campus this Fall to complete the 4+1 program in Biostatistics at the Rollins School of Public Health. 

We had a chance to sit down with Izzy and talk about her Public Health journey and how she found the right program for her.

What are your plans post-graduation?
After graduation, I am interning at Humana, a health insurance company out of Louisville, Kentucky. I will be on their pharmacy analytics and data science team within their analytics department. The focus of my work will be determining how best to improve the health of Humana members.

After this summer, I will be returning to Rollins School of Public Health at Emory complete my Master of Science of Public Health (MSPH) in Biostatistics. Since I did the 4+1 program, I only have one additional year of school to obtain the MSPH. After this, I am not quite sure where I will end up, but the Health Insurance industry is one of my top interests.

Why did you choose to do the 4+1 program with the Rollins School of Public Health?
I chose to do the 4+1 program in biostatistics because I knew I had a passion for social justice and healthcare, but medicine was not the right track for me. My dad and almost his entire family works in medicine and would have loved If I went down that road as well. However, I never found biology, chemistry, or anatomy all that interesting. In reality, the only science class in high school I really liked was physics and that was just because I liked the math behind it. I thought healthcare was interesting and liked the field but practicing medicine was of no interest to me. I knew math was a subject I wanted to study so I went to Emory planning on majoring in math since I knew at the end of the day it was a useful degree and I could go into just about any field with it. When I was trying to decide what specific math major, I wanted to do, I came across the 4+1 program in biostatistics. As I investigated, I found that public health and specifically biostatistics was a path where I could continue doing math, but have it focused in the field of healthcare. So basically, since I was a freshman my plan was to get an MSPH in biostatistics and I chose my major (applied mathematics and statistics) and minor (anthropology) to be what I thought would help me best obtain this goal.
I chose this track specifically because even after I decided I wanted to do it, I questioned if it was the best option. I would go on websites and look for jobs of interest to me and they all required a master’s degree of some sort. Either in statistics, biostatistics, or another closely related field. It seemed like I was going to want the additional degree eventually anyway so might as well go for it with this program so that I only needed one additional year of school instead of two. I couldn’t be more thankful for it. 

What are some things you wish you knew 5 years ago?
5 years ago, I was a junior in high school. I wish I knew that I could take almost anything I was interested in, choose it for my undergraduate field of study, and apply it to almost any field I am interested in. There is no need to try and force yourself to like a subject because you think it will make you the most money or get you the specific job you want. When you are choosing your job, it is not like all math majors have to get a job that is specifically just math. A lot of people have asked me if I am planning on being a math teacher with my degree because they don’t realize how many possible careers I could have with it. I can go into the healthcare world – in insurance, pharmaceuticals, or research—but I could also decide that is not for me and be fully equipped to work in almost any analytics department, no matter the field. Our areas of study provide us with tools to use in our future careers, but they don’t determine what our job has to be. 

What is the best advice you could give to a student interested in Public Health?
I would advise someone to study what they find most interesting and then figure out how to factor it into their choice of career field. I minored in anthropology and volunteered in activities which gave me a look into the public health world. I’m getting a degree in public health, but I didn’t have to major in it to get there. I am working in healthcare without having taken any science classes in college besides an intro to psych course and anthropology course.

What challenges did you face and how did you overcome them?
My biggest challenge has been that most people don’t know what I’m trying to do or how to advise me in it. Grad schools don’t have many specific requirements to get accepted like medical school does. They want to see that you are interested in the field you want the higher degree in but that doesn’t mean your entire undergraduate career had to be focused on that. You can explore other classes and fields before settling and use these experiences to build your path to whatever field you eventually end up in.