Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Humans of Pre-Health Emory: Caitlyn Arno


Caitlyn Arno is an Emory alumnus who graduated in 2018 with an Anthropology and Human Biology major. She is currently a sophomore pursuing her MD at the University of Kentucky College of Medicine.


We had a chance to sit down with Jana and ask her a few questions about her pre-health journey.

What have been impactful events that have led you to this pre-health track?
First and foremost, volunteering at CHOA and working in the school room influenced my chosen health profession. I absolutely loved it and saw a whole new side of healthcare. The kids were adorable, and my experience made me realize I wanted to get more involved in healthcare, especially children’s health. Secondly, studying abroad in Uganda sealed the deal. In Uganda, I worked in nutrition and with malnourishment. This valuable experience fueled my desire to work in a psychology-like capacity. I gained knowledge of the healthcare system outside the United States and how to help people. This is where it all came to light.  

What was the most difficult part of your pre-health career?
The most difficult part was staying motivated when things got tough, especially during hard classes like Organic chemistry, Biology, and QTM. I had to learn that I don’t have to be a perfectionist in every part of my life and enjoy my experiences. Scheduling was also challenging because I wanted to go abroad and try to fit all my pre-med classes in before I graduated. I had to take the MCAT two weeks before I left for abroad. It was hard, but not impossible, and I would not take anything back.

What do you wish you knew 5 years ago?
You don’t have to excel at every part of the application. I wish I told myself that it is okay to not have enough research or shadowing opportunities because I made up for it in volunteering and experience. Every person’s path to pre-med is incredibly different. As easy as it is to compare yourself to others, try not to.

What is the best advice you could give someone pursuing the same track as you?
Make sure you do everything you want to do. Don’t let being pre-med sidetrack you from that -don’t let it be your end all be all.

If you like volunteering or being a leader, then do that. Don’t stretch yourself too thin and feel like you have to fit yourself into your pre-med mold. Just keep pushing through. You’ve got this! Receiving your acceptances will be the best feeling in the world and you deserve it.