Friday, October 12, 2018

Student Spotlights: Amulya Marellapudi

PHA is exited to introduce a new column to the blog, Student Spotlights, featuring posts written by Emory Pre-Health students. In this monthly column, we will highlight the interesting stories and unique experiences of our diverse pre-health population. 

We are thrilled to feature Amulya Marellapudi as our first Student Spotlight!

Amulya Marellapudi is a Sophomore from Valley Cottage, New York. She is a Biology major and Global Health minor, pursuing the pre-med track.









Making Musical M(Emory)’s
by Amulya Marellapudi

In high school, as part of the chamber orchestra, I performed in nursing homes to bring the holiday spirit and joy to residents. I’ve continued my dedication to service and the community by playing the violin in the lobby of the Winship Cancer Institute on Emory’s campus. I enjoy playing sentimental pieces that relieve patients and their families from life’s uncertainty and instead focus on the loved ones surrounding them. Emory has allowed me to explore the intersection between service and music and find meaning in musical pieces.

I eagerly anticipate playing weekly because of the interactions I have with patients. Many stop and ask about my past violin experiences while I ask them about their interest in music and the violin. I’ve realized that music has allowed me to start new conversations and create new connections.

Composers convey stories through their musical pieces and I hope to bring these stories to life. I hope that the audience I play for can connect their own personal stories with the ones conveyed through the dynamics, rhythms and notes of each of the pieces. Pieces contain discordant notes that represent the struggles of life developing into harmonies which signifies that hope and beauty will prevail even over life’s toughest moments.

I am thankful to Emory for the opportunity to share my gift of music with others. Even in the chaos of being a college student, I have found inner peace when I play the violin. I wish to bring that same solace to others and allow the music to bring everyone together as one.